Saturday, August 21, 2010

© Lifes a Pitch

Selling Your Self Image by Mr.Roger



I truly believe with all my being that we are always pitching, selling ourselves. I also believe that this is not a bad thing.



The simple act of reaching out to people and trying to connect is an act of persuasion. Most of us care whether people like us or not and understand that when we are liked and admired, we are more able to get the things we want. This is a universal truth demonstrated repeatedly by successful people everywhere. The million dollar question is, are we liked by the right kind of people who can help us get what we want out of life? A successful salesperson is a unique commodity and worth their weight in gold.

Unfortunately, selling has gotten a bad reputation. The dictionary definitions (relevant to tonight’s topic) are “to convince of, to gain acceptance.” In relevance to that, sales have acquired some unfavorable definitions such as “to cheat or dupe, a hoax or swindle.” It is associated with being phony and inauthentic, forcing people to buy things they don’t want or need.” We all at some point in life have experienced the humiliation and exasperation of feeling that we were taken for a ride. I feel that familiar irritation creeping up on me when I listen to those trying to disillusion everything we stand for and are trying to accomplish. I can only wonder how it is affecting the people that I’ve take responsibility for in sponsorship. This is not what I think of when I sell, and this is not where we are going with this. Rather, I want to set forth some ideas about selling and pitching that are honest, genuine, and borne of deep interest in other people.





YOU GOT TO LIKE PEOPLE

This may sound corny, but true. The most successful people love the thrill of meeting new people and getting to know them. It’s a challenge to see if they can persuade another person to open up, to smile back, to remember them. You must have a love for your fellow humans, a positive view of live and seem sincerely interested in what others have to say.

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE IMPRESSION YOU WANT TO LEAVE

Doesn’t it make sense, to take responsibility for helping people have the best possible impression of us? After all this is how relationships are begun, and good relationships are the keys to success in life and business. Too often people don’t accept responsibility for the impressions they leave on others. It takes a good deal of planning to impalement this thinking and we may not always be successful. This kind of impression making can make or break a company and or your sales ability.

SET GOALS (If you don’t know what you want, you won’t get it)

We all have set goals. Daydreams are goals. We just are not always successful in realizing them. So it’s a good idea to set goals or objectives. When we set goals we give ourselves a better chance of getting what we want out of life. Goals can be any size or shape. One thing to remember is that the farther away from the present time you set your goals; the more difficult it is to meet them. Therefore keep them realistic, keep them close enough that you can taste them. As you think of your goals write them down. Be disciplined about this, mo matter how ridiculous they may seem at that time. You can always discard them later.

FOCUSING ON NEGATIVES (#1Sales Mistake)

I have worked with many salespeople, and I have come to the conclusion that there are some people who simply spend their whole careers inventing and /or reinforcing obstacles.Everyone’s seen this in action: the water coolers gripe sessions and the behind the back gossiping, there’s always something preventing their success. Now don’t get me wrong. We all have legitimate concerns. But some people enter the sales arena considering the battle half lost or half won. A persistent negative outlook will not only make it difficult for coworkers and supervisors to work with you, it also will make it difficult for prospects to work with you. If you’re not getting what you want right this instant, complaining about everything in sight is going to only compound your problem. Not only will you wasting valuable time, you will lose the prospective that you need to identify and resolve the doubts your having.

With today’s internet availability and the search tools provided, a negative persona can well infect a strong sales body and company. Selling is difficult work; no one is saying it isn’t. But you must be able to isolate problems, deal with them, and get down to business. Letting yourself get caught up in negative diversions - is simply giving up your competitive edge.

Stay positive, Stay upbeat. You are your own greatest asset, focusing on negatives keeps you from performing at your peak.

Fatzilla™ All rights and PLR rights reserved
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. When I was 'much' younger, yes I had to sell myself to obtain employment, find true love, and convince my parents I was NOT going to hell.
    But for me, menopause changed all that. I hit 45, woke up one day and decided, "I'm OK just the way I am". I refused to stagnate or get caught in any ruts, and I stopped worrying about what other people thought. I've always been very conscious of the affect my behaviour has on others (being a hands on single Mom is a great leveller) and by the time I reached 50, I no longer 'sold' myself. I am who I am, and take or leave it. I KNOW who I am, and what I am capable of, and am blessed with the energy to continue to discover new capabilities for myself.
    I have come to the conclusion (and seen first hand that lesson passed on and working for my two sons), that self esteem, confidence and a liberal dash of humor coupled with a 'live and let live' philosophy (no prejudice, no pre-judging, treat others as you want to be treated) goes further and farther in terms of personal success today than 'selling' yourself to reach that brass ring. As we get older, we realize that the journey is more important than the destination..........

    ReplyDelete